Ten years have passed since that tragic day when a member of our family was taken from our lives too soon. The details of this day will forever be in my memory but also in my memory forever will be how special and cherished my nephew was to all that had the honor of knowing him. Gaven had a way of always brightening up a room as soon as he entered.
I knew I wanted to do something special to honor Gaven this year, but first I had to ask my brother if he was ready to part with some of Gaven's shirts. I could tell he was a little hesitant, so I told him to think about it and let me know if he changed his mind. A few weeks passed and then he called to tell me he would be dropping them off to me. I have to admit I was a little nervous driving home that night with Gaven's clothes in my car, I felt I was hauling precious cargo.
Now the challenge was mine to create something meaningful from his clothing. Thankfully, I have an amazing friend (Lisa) who was willing to give up half a day to help me.
Within a few hours we had the basics laid out and I was well on my way.
Last night I delivered my special present. I think both of them were a little nervous to open it at first, the expression on Cindy's face shows just how mixed her emotions were.
It's amazing how the family can recall memories from each shirt. We flipped through photo albums as Shannon recalled specific pictures taken with Gaven in the shirts. His14th birthday, his sophomore school picture, family outings, etc.
One of my favorite pictures at my parents 50th Anniversary with Gaven in his New Orleans shirt.
Gaven's inspiration for this brick dolphin wall, he created the summer before his accident, came from one of the tee shirts.
Now my brother's family can wrap themselves in Gaven's memories bringing them comfort in the years ahead. Thank you Greg & Cindy for trusting me with your precious belongings to create something special for you and your family.










So beautifully stitched Joni...I know just how special this treasured quilt will be for Gaven's family for all the many years ahead. You are so sweet to give them this gift. And it was truly an honor to touch Gaven's t-shirts and be a small part of memories stitched together from Aunt Joni.
ReplyDeletexoxo Lisa
I loved it thank you so much for sharing your talents! You did an amazing job it is a treasure for sure! Love you!!
ReplyDelete