Let's say hello to Gizmo.
Gizmo is a Blue and Gold Macaw that was part of the package deal when I married Bob. So would the official title be step-bird? She's around 24 years old and has the possibility of out living us since their lifespan can be 60+ years.
This is the only way that I have known Gizmo, bare chested, because she began plucking her feathers after Chase was born and she was no longer the center of Bob's universe. Too bad, because the full feather versions are so pretty.
It's been nine years and she only tolerates me because I happen to feed her and clean her cage. She's pretty temperamental and isn't afraid to let me know when I'm not welcome. Birds are very loyal to one person, and if you're not that one they might torment you a little by lunging and nipping at you. Get her around Bob and she's as sweet as can be.
This is her mighty eagle,
and roll over tricks. With some encouragement she'll play peek-a-boo and cluck like a rooster. What's the scariest is when she starts to talk and you can hear your phrases being vocalized like "bad bird," "mmm (for yummy)," "har bar (Harley's nickname)." and the funniest is when she starts out with "Bob, Bob, Bob and then screams Bobby" just like Bob's mother use to do when he lived next door in an apartment. She might not be as lovable as my dogs, but I'm always greeted with a "Hello" and as my car pulls out of the garage you can hear her saying "B bye" with a wave.
Oh yes, that's a little too much closeness for me, but Bob is the only one she'll respond to like that. I may think she is a pain on a day to day basis, but I'm pretty sure I'd miss her constant noises that I've become accustomed to. "B bye" for now!






Oh my goodness...coolest bird ever! And why have we never met Gizmo at the annual BBQ at your house? I would love to see some of his tricks! Great post!
ReplyDelete